69) An alveolus a) is coated on the inner surface by fluid b) is surrounded by an extensive network of capillaries. c) is surrounded by an extensive network of elastic fibers. d) A and B e) A, B and c
74) The conducting portion of the respiratory system receives blood a) blood from systemic circulation. b) that drains into pulmonary veins. c) from pulmonary circulation. d) A and B e) A and C
75) The serous membrane that forms a cavity around most of the lungs is called a) parietal pleura b) visceral pleura c) pericardium d) pleural membrane e) none of the above
78) During hyperpnea (forced breathing), additional aid for inspiration comes from the a) diaphragm and external and internal intercostal muscles. b) sternocleidomastoid, serratus anterior, and scalene muscles. c) intrinsic back muscles and the pelvic floor muscles. d) rectus abdominus, external and internal oblique, and the transversus abdominus. e) all of the above.
79) During extreme bouts of exercise, inspiration may be aided by (the) a) diaphragm and external and internal intercostal muscles. b) intrinsic back muscles and the scalenus anterior and medius. c) serratus anterior and levator scapulae. d) rectus abdominis, external and internal oblique, and the transversus abdominis. e) all of the above.
84) Which of the following is NOT a function of the digestive system? a) chemical and enzymatic breakdown of large organic nutrient molecules b) the movement of nutrient molecules into the lumen of the small intestine c) ingestion of foods and liquids d) mechanical processing of food materials and liquids e) All of the above are functions of the digestive system