I need support with this Business question so I can learn better.
Answer the 2 question below and reply to each student.
Student Reply must be over 150 words.
Make sure all student replies you start it with Hello (Student Name),
Question 1 is 2 parts.
Traditionally, performance reviews are completed using preset performance appraisal forms or templates. An appraisal form should have detailed framework for measuring performance. Whether you are an employee, HR representative, or manager, you will have to complete and/or review performance appraisals. For this discussion, you will create a performance appraisal template that you believe would benefit the organization you currently or have previously worked for. Prior to beginning work on this exercise, read the article Viewpoint: How to Redesign Your Performance Appraisal Template (Links to an external site.). Additionally, review several performance appraisal templates available on the Internet.
Create a performance appraisal template that you feel meets the needs of your current or previous position and organization. The appraisal should include a rating scale and five competencies you would recommend the organization to evaluate staff on. At minimum, include a rating scale guideline (i.e., description of what each rating is composed of). Attach your performance appraisal template to the initial post.
In the body of your post, explain why you selected the five competencies and how your selections contribute to effective employee performance management, training, and development programs.
Your initial post must be a minimum of 300 words. Cite at least one scholarly source to support your response.
Student Reply 1:Yihao
As you can see with my attachment upload, that is my version of the performance appraisal template. I have had no other experience with any other jobs but the Air Force. In truth, the Air Force has its own performance report template and the description I used was taken from it. The Air Force report has three competencies that are detailed some have Air Force-isms that are not understandable to the outside world. I separated mine into five categories and tried to take out the Air Force-isms into something we can all understand.
My five categories are degree of technical knowledge, the productivity of employee, professionalism, personal and professional development, and communication and teamwork skills. The five competencies I selected and how it contributes to effective employee performance management, training, and development programs is that these categories encompass the aspect of the Air Force values.
As Youssef (2015) stated, “productivity is the most prominent component of performance.” This is my second category and one of the most important, to ensure the ability matches the rank. This also ties in with the first category the degree of technical knowledge as it both has its similarities. The third category is professionalism which is similar to the attitude category Youssef (2015) stated, “Employees’ attitude have a direct influence on their productivity, as well as on the organizational culture as a whole.” The fourth category is the whole Airman concept that the Air Force embraces, continuing professional development but also seeking out personal development. This mainly ties in with school and the degree and how it affects the Air Force. For example, my Bachelors’s in Organizational Management will teach me better leadership skills and more effective management allowing me to run my section more effectively. The fifth category is communication and teamwork skills. This is the teamwork aspect and fostering a professional communicative environment. This is one of the most difficult aspects to achieve as it’s a diverse group of people. People come from all over the world and different states and places that there might not always have the same agreement when it comes to opinions and values.
With these 5 categories, it encompasses performance management, training whether personal or professional goals and development programs which is bettering the Air Force or innovative ideas.
Student Reply 2:Zaknafein
The five competencies that I have picked for the effective employee performance sheet are the following Leadership/ follower-ship, Effective Communication and teamwork, Skills and Expertise of the job, Reliable and dependable, and Dress and appearance . This is very similar to the Air Forces own performance report and the reason why I picked the competencies is because they easily show how a member performs within an organization.
Leadership and follower-ship is important for any organization because no matter what you are doing you will at some point be either a leader or a follower. Being able to know when to take the lead on something and giving the respect to those who are in charge are vital for the success of a business. If there is not a proper chain of command there will be chaos and things will not get done as quickly as they should.
Effective communication and teamwork is on here because it is also important for your workers to know that they should be working together to get the job done. Communication allows the team to solve problems faster and allows a business to succeed. Effective communication will also build trust with your employees and will help with getting things accomplished.
Skills and expertise of the job is on this performance report because this allows the staff to know how well they are at their job in the eyes on their supervisor. This one can be the toughest one to rate someone on because we would like to think everyone is a hard worker and are good at their job. Sometimes a supervisor or an HR rep has to let their staff know that they are not as good as they think they are. Feelings can be hurt and arguments may happen based on what the rating is for this one in particular.
The next one is reliable and dependable which is also another one where feedback sessions may get heated pretty quickly. The purpose of this one is basically showcasing if the member can be trusted to get the job done without any issues. Sometimes a member believes they can be trusted but the supervisor feels different and will send tasks to a different worker instead. If this is happening then the member should be rated lower on the performance report. Again more heated discussion can happen by this especially when it is a surprise to the employee.
Finally, Dress and Appearance is important because I believe people should take pride in their appearance and should look professional in the work place. I have included customer service within this because I believe they go together when representing the company.
Paul FalconeJune 7, 2017 Viewpoint: How to Redesign Your Performance Appraisal Template received from
A performance appraisal is a regular review of employee job performance and contribution to organizational objectives. In many cases, performance appraisals are conducted at the end of the year to evaluate employee performance, as well as set performance for the next year. For this assignment, you will evaluate another function of HR and management and its contribution to effective performance management. Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read the article Adapting the Performance Appraisal Process to Meet the Needs of the Modern Workplace (Links to an external site.).
In your paper,
- Discuss how performance appraisals are a function of HR and management.
- Analyze the basic components of an effective performance appraisal.
- Explain how performance appraisals can contribute to organizational goals and objectives.
- Explain the advantages of performance appraisals and how they contribute to effective training and development.
- Explain potential forms of discrimination based on labor laws and regulations when conducting a performance appraisal.
For additional support with completing this assignment, please refer to the following tools:
- Finding HR Journals in the AU Library (Links to an external site.). This tip sheet will support you in researching through the Ashford University Library.
- What Is CRAAP: A Guide to Evaluating Web Sources (Links to an external site.). This will assist you in determining the reliability of an HR website.
- Scholarly and Popular Resources(1) (Links to an external site.).This tutorial explains the differences between scholarly and popular resources.
- Human Resource Research With FindIt@AU (Links to an external site.). This tip sheet will support you in researching through the Ashford University Library.
The Performance Appraisal paper
- Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.).
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.), refer to the Ashford Writing Center resources.
- Must use at least two scholarly, peer-reviewed, or credible sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.