Body Image Worksheet
Directions: Complete the following media matrix while thinking about questions 1-5. Answer the short essay question at the end of the worksheet using the information collected, information from your textbook, and research from the GCU library to support your essay.
For 3 days, keep track of the following: How many women and how many men were Very thin? Thin? Muscular? Average? Heavy?
Use the matrix to keep track of your information, by typing directly into each individual cell.
(very thin, thin, muscular, heavy, average)
(name of the show, channel, cable, time of day)
(what is being advertised, time of day)
(advertising, magazines, billboards)
Answer the following questions using the information you collected in your 3-day media watch. Your answers for questions 1-5 need to be complete sentences.
- In your 3-day watch, did you observe more thin women than average-sized or heavy women? If so, what differences did you notice in the characters they played/products they sold?
- Did you detect more average-sized men than heavy men? Were there more muscular men than average-sized or heavy men? If so, what differences did you notice in the characters they played/products they sold?
- In your 3-day media watch, did you notice a relationship between types of shows and the types of bodies depicted? For example, were there more thin or muscular bodies depicted on programming aimed at young people (e.g., music television) as opposed to programming aimed at older viewers (e.g., television magazine shows)?
- What effects do you believe the media (ads, television shows, movies, etc.) has on individuals in our society?
- Some of today’s researchers contend that women are depicted in the popular media not only as being unrealistically thin, but also are more often depicted in a sexualized manner than men (that is, wearing “sexy” clothes, speaking in a suggestive manner, appearing to be undressed). Did you find this to be true in your 3-day watch? Do you think this is related to the emphasis on unrealistic body types?
In 250-500 words, analyze the various behavior patterns you have seen that could lead to anorexia or bulimia; as well as, listing some treatments available for those who suffer from eating disorders. Use the information collected in your 3-day media study, your textbook, and the GCU library to answer and support your claims. APA format is not required for this short essay, but solid academic writing is expected along with a reference page.