Directions: Read the following articles from NAEYC’s Young Children:
- Empathy and Cultural Competence: Reflections from Teachers of Culturally Diverse Children
- Missing: Picture Books Reflecting Gay and Lesbian Families
- “Partnering with Families of Children with Special Needs”
http://www.naeyc.org/files/yc/file/200909/Families of Children with Special Needs.pdf
- How to Reach Out to Parents of English Language Learners
- “Ten Tips Involving Families Through Internet Based Communication” by Mitchell, Foulger, and Wetzel.
http://www.naeyc.org/files/yc/file/200909/Ten Tips for Involving Families.pdf
- 6 Ways to Keep Families Strong Through Early Care and Education
- For each of the articles, write a two to three page paper that includes the following:
- 1. Summary of the article
- 2. Describe what you found that was interesting or new.
- 3. Write about any connections that the article had to your personal and professional life.
- 4. Write about any issues or information that you want to learn more about.
- 5. List any specific things that you can share with your colleagues or families.
- 6. Describe how you could incorporate this information in your program or classroom.