For this assessment, an essay will be used for information tool for your nursing peers on a contemporary nursing topic. An essay has an introduction, body and conclusion. The paragraphs in the body of your assignment will need good linkage in order for your essay to flow.
This assignment is a 2000 word essay on the below topic:
Topic: Discuss challenges with nursing skill mix in contemporary healthcare and how this can impact on patient care.
Due Date: 0800 27th June 2019
When you submit your essay to Turnitin, please use the link provided in Blackboard. Late submissions will receive a 5% penalty per day if no extension is in place.
The format of your essay and any innovative ideas you use to present your topic should cover the following sections and also the points to consider below:
A good introduction is interesting and tells the reader:
• what the essay is all about- provide definitions and references
• A little bit about why this is important
• Outlines for the reader what you will be discussing in the rest of the essay.
Using logical well-formed paragraphs discuss the following:
• What is a nursing skill mix?
• How has nursing shortages impacted on skill mix?
• Consider the best ratio of RN’S to other levels of healthcare workers.
• Discuss the impact of AIN’s – assistants in nursing on skill mix
• Consider how issues with skill mix can impact on nurses
• Consider how skill mix impacts on patient healthcare outcomes and the care we provide
Please note your paragraphs need to link and flow well to formulate a good well rounded discussion.
A ‘good’ conclusion should summarise all the points raised within the discussion. Please note there should be NO references within your conclusion as no new information should be presented here.
- Reference list
This should include an alphabetical full end text reference list of all in-text references used. Please note that online referencing software systems are usually incorrect. You need to follow the APA style as per the ECU referencing guide. This can be downloaded from the library. This assignment requires a minimum of 10 references with at least 5 of these being academic journal articles. The references should be no older than 5 years. However, some material related to this topic is older so references up to 10 years can be used as long as the information has not been superseded. All references need to be from reputable sources. Do not use lecture notes as references.
• Please use the assignment template provided within the current SNM Assignment Guidelines (note: there have been a few changes re layout, etc.)
• Only submit via TurnItIn, no hardcopy required.
• This assignment is all about the process of researching a topic and being able to articulate your findings in a comprehensive and logical sequence.
• Make sure you use approved abbreviations and write in the third person.
• Your report should facilitate peer learning: use an appropriate language level suitable for RNs, not mums and dads! Ensure that content is relevant to nursing practice, i.e. sufficient depth of information but not too detailed
• Support your discussion with relevant and recent literature and websites. Use peer-reviewed articles, evidence based research and best practice guidelines (Australian and international if relevant, e.g. WHO). Do not use public access medical websites designed for non-health professionals, eg. eMedicine, MayoClinic, BetterHealthChannel, GPNotes,etc. This assignment requires a minimum of 10 references with at least 5 of these being academic journal articles. The references should be no older than 5 years. However, some material related to this topic is older so references up to 10 years can be used as long as the information has not been superseded. All references need to be from reputable sources. Do not use lecture notes as references.
• Read the marking criteria of the rubric; it is a good guide for how much emphasis needs to be placed on each section.
• You will need to include title page and table of contents – Please refer to the school of nursing and midwifery guide for presentation. Your paragraphs need to be logical and clearly formed. Do not use dot points or direct quotations for this assignment.
Below you will find two tables: The first is the SNM generic marking rubric, the second is an interpretation of that rubric to help you recognise which areas are important.
The column on the left in table 2 is the high distinction column from the generic rubric (table 1). The column on the right shows you what elements you need in order to get full marks. The points in brackets show you how those elements are weighted, naturally elements with more points require more words/paragraphs.