1. Go to
Use the following search terms for this exercise:
Fatty acid degradation
Fatty acid biosynthesis
Instructions for using the KEGG database are in Bioinformatics Exercise 10.2. Chapter 17: Bioinformatics Exercise 17.2
1. The pathway for fatty acid degradation in the KEGG database begins with a ___carbon fatty acid, and the first step in humans is catalyzed by an enzyme having the KEGG Orthology (KO) entry number _______________.
A. 6; K01897
B. 16; K00232
C. 6; K08765
D. 16; K01897
2. After transport into the peroxisome, acyl-CoA is oxidized to trans-∆ -enoyl-CoA by which enzyme?
3. After each cycle of fatty acid degradation, the product has __ fewer carbon/s.
4. In humans, the formation of acetyl-CoA is catalyzed by ___________ during the initial cycles of fatty acid degradation and exclusively by __________ during the degradation of a 4-carbon acyl-CoA.
A. enoyl-CoA hydratase; thiolase
B. acetyl-CoA acyltransferase 1; acetyl-CoA acyltransferase 2
C. acetyl-CoA acyltransferase 2; acetyl-CoA acyltransferase 1
D. thiolase; enoyl-CoA hydratase Chapter 17: Bioinformatics Exercise 17.2
5. As indicated in the KEGG pathways for fatty acid degradation and biosynthesis, which pathway does NOT use acetyl-CoA as a substrate?
A. citric acid cycle
B. butanoate metabolism
C. fatty acid biosynthesis
6. Which statement is consistent with the comparison of fatty acid biosynthesis in humans and in Helicobacter pylori 2017?
A. Both organisms use the same multifunctional enzyme.
B. Humans use separate proteins to catalyze each step, while H. pylori 2017 uses one multifunctional enzyme to catalyze each step.
C. Humans use one multifunctional enzyme to catalyze each step, while H.
pylori 2017 uses separate proteins to catalyze each step.
D. Both organisms use separate proteins to catalyze each step.
7. After each cycle of fatty acid biosynthesis, the product has __ additional carbon/s.
8. According to the KEGG database, human fatty acid synthase contains _____ amino acids and is also involved in the _____ pathway.
A. 2511; insulin signaling
B. 2511; β-oxidation
C. 7536; insulin signaling
D. 7536; β-oxidation