You will use proper grammar and complete sentences to answer each of the questions below. Your answers should be well-written, in your own words, and at least 150 words in length per question. Please remember that your assignment will be submitted through plagiarism detection software.
Course Objectives addressed in this assignment:
- Identify the origin of all carbohydrates and categorize carbohydrates into different classes
- Describe the consequences of refining flour
- Describe what is happening physiologically when someone has lactose intolerance
- 1. (7pts) Lactose Intolerance: Explain what is meant by lactose intolerance. What are the unpleasant side effects that occur if you consume dairy when you have lactose intolerance? Explain how the large intestine is involved. What would you recommend to someone who has mild lactose intolerance? Severe?
- 2. (8pts) Refined Grains: Explain the process of refining grains. You may research this on your own and cite your sources. Many of the lost vitamins are added back in, but how does the process of refining affect the carbohydrate make-up of these flours and bread products? We have all heard of rice, wheat and oats; but what about other whole grains? Using this website, choose a grain from this list: amaranth, millet, quinoa, sorghum, teff or triticale. Click on the ‘learn more’ link and read the short article. Using your own words, compose a summary of the grain you chose.
- 3. (8pts) Sugar Alternatives: These come in 2 categories, artificial sweeteners and sugar substitutes. Sugar substitutes are naturally occurring compounds, like sugar alcohols, that can be isolated and used to sweeten foods. Explain the pros and cons of consuming sugar alcohols.
- Explain why erythritol (the sugar alcohol used in Vitamin Water 0) may cause fewer side effects than other sugar alcohols. (You may use Wikipedia to help you, but make sure your answer is in your own words.)
- Choose a synthetic sweetener and discuss its current uses.
- (7pts) High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS): HFCS is the processed sweetener made from corn that is the primary sweetener used in process foods. Watch this HFCS commercial and then watch this SNL parody. The total time is about 2 minutes. These videos highlight the current debate and emotion that surround the topic of High Fructose Corn Syrup. After watching the videos, answer the following questions. You may need to use the internet to help with your answers.
- Explain your reaction to each video. How do you feel about this topic and why?
- Explain how HFCS is different from sucrose, chemically. How would you categorize each of these—simple or complex carbohydrates?
Running head: NUTRITION 1 NutritionNameInstitutionDate NUTRITION 2 Explain what is meant by lactose intolerance. What are the unpleasant side effects thatoccur if you consume dairy when you…