Human papillomavirus vaccine to reduce cervical cancers
Your task is to critically appraise the clinical and economic evidence and prepare a report for Government decision-makers explaining why, on the basis of this evidence, that technology should or should not be funded in Australia.
For each technology, you have been provided with the publication (a paper) of a clinical trial and an economic evaluation. Your role is to undertake a critical appraisal of these papers using a suitable appraisal tool/checklist and prepare a report for Government decision-makers that include key information about the technology and your recommendation about whether the technology should be funded in the Australian setting. You may wish to refer to these and other publications in your review but the publications you have been provided should be your primary focus.
What to Cover in Your Report:
- An abstract that summarises the technology, the comparator, the key findings of the clinical trial and economic evaluations, the quality of the clinical and economic evidence, potential implications for policy and practice, and your recommendation. The abstract should not exceed 500 words.
- A completed appraisal checklist(s) for the two provided studies. You should choose the appraisal checklist(s) that you feel is most appropriate for the studies being reviewed. The completed checklists will not contribute to the overall word count of your report.
- A main report that addresses the following issues:
• The context for the health technology, including a description of the health technology, the appropriate comparator, the population and circumstances of use.
• The nature of the clinical evidence for the safety, efficacy and effectiveness of the new technology, and your conclusions regarding the quality of this evidence.
• The nature of the economic evaluation of the new technology, including: o the evaluation type used and modelling approach (if applicable).
o. A summary of the outcome measures in the clinical evidence and how they are translated in the economic evidence.
o. A summary of the types of resource use that were included in the economic evaluation, and an assessment of whether these were appropriate.
o. Key sources of uncertainty and assumptions, and what impact these may have on the results and interpretation.
o. The findings in relation to cost-effectiveness of the technology, and your conclusions regarding this evidence